Tuesday 21 July 2009

HAVE YOU HEARD GEOFFREY GURRUMUL YUNUPINGU SING?




.
.
.
I was dozing on the settee yesterday morning after a disturbed night due to a family health crisis, when I was woken by a song being played on BBC Breakfast. I then sat through an interesting interview of a Northern Territories , Australian aboriginal musician and singer called Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu.
.
He was born blind in 1970 on Elcho Island and has been a sensation 'down-under' and around the world. He is left handed and taught himself to play the guitar upside down as well as many other instruments. He had been a member of the Oz Group, Saltwater Band before releasing his own CD 'Gurrumul' in 2008. He won the Best World Music Album at the ARIA Awards in 2008 and won The Northern Territories 'Australian of the Year Award in 2009.
.
He has played all over the world; has backed up Elton John in Concert and appeared at Download this summer. Elton John, Sting and Bjork are fans of his music. Bertie had never heard of him and perhaps readers have not either.
.
I have not been able to master how to embed a You Tube thingee in my blog yet, so the best I can do is suggest you go and look at You Tube. There are four tracks from his album shown: Djarimmiri, Wiyathul, Wukun and Bapa. I was unable to understand a word of his songs as they are sung in the Yolngu aboriginal language but I was struck by the sadness expressed in Bapa and can put this link up for readers:
.
Go and listen to it and enjoy.

No comments: