An interesting Agenda Item for next Thursday's Council Meeting is up for consideration. In mind of the Parliamentary Expenses saga, I wonder what Cllrs will decide?
Harvey Patterson, TDC's Monitoring Officer is making some proposals on how Democratic Services (Cllrs Allowances and costs) could be pruned for 2010/2011. Here are areas he has suggested that savings of £20,000 + could be made and has identified a potential saving of £54, 673:
1, Reduce Cllrs Basic Allowance to £4,000. ( An 8% cut saves £20,160)
2. Slim Cabinet by 2 members (Who would they be?) (Saves £15,980)3. Reduce Special Responsibility Allowance for:
a. Chair of Scrutiny (Saves £2,786)
b. Vice Chair of Scrutiny (Saves £2,000)
c. All Vice Chairs (Saves £3,237)4. Reduce Conference Budget ( already underspent but saves £3,060)
5. Cabinet members to pay for own Blackberries from their allowance (Saves £5,200)
6. Finish meetings by 8.00pm and save Security wages. ( Saves £2, 250)
Mr Patterson, asks Council to indicate its own preferences for where savings should be made but recommends these options to Cllrs:
1. Reduce Cabinet by ONE member. (Saving £7,990)
2. Reduce Scrutiny SRA's (Saves £4,786)
3. Remove Vice Chair SRAs (Saves £3,237)
4. Delete Cabinet 'Blackberry' budget ( Saves £5,200).
His recommendations then save £24,273.
Of the area of 'potential savings', I am concerned that meetings may need to go on longer for Cllrs and the public as earlier start times to achieve an early finish may not suit Cllrs or the public and that £2,250 should not be saved.
As far as the rest are concerned, all possible areas should be opted for and instead of saving a measly £24,000 odd, our Cllrs should go for a figure of £52,000! What will they decide I wonder?