The good thing about being a neutral sort of chap with a Conservative bent, is that it enables one to listen to all sorts of gossip around the big village that Thanet is. Here's some of the gossip doing the rounds today and you can make of it what you will:
1. Thanet Earth is not advertising locally for workers but adverts have been appearing in Polish papers for the past few weeks to attract staff to Thanet Earth.
2. The fire at the closed old Currys at Westwood this evening was a case of genuine vandals setting fire to premises as oppposed to the normal standard of arson (with a motive) that Thanet seems plagued with. That corner of The Westwood Cross roundabout is to be a new Ikea or a series of Chinese businesses in a minor 'China Town' to cater for the vast numbers of Chinamex employees coming our way shortly courtesy of CGP.
3. The new building going up on the old Wickes site between Debenhams and Sainsbury's has seen a rash of Primark staff from Head Office monitoring progress and that the one shop in lower Margate High St that still attracts footfall in that neglected town is going to close and operations will move to Westwood Cross.
4. Cllr 'call me Ken' Gregory, Thanet's new Chair of Planning, has realised that hitting the keys of his PC is not a good idea when downing a few pints of 'real' ale.
5. 'Mowice', 'Our Leader' is not a good sailor and does not know a 'clove-hitch' from a 'sheep-shank' but likes his martini stirred and not shaken.
6. Developers at St.Augustine's in Westgate are so desperate to sell property in these difficult times that part-exchange and other offers are being made to sell houses there.
The urban legends abound, but experience has taught me that Thanet's village gossips sometimes pick up on issues long before our 'word-smiths' in Union Row , so don't necessarily take all the gossip with a 'pinch of salt'.