Sunday 30 March 2008

THE MAGNIFICENT FOUR


If it wasn't for The IOTG and Richard Spillet, would the Bradstowe Ward residents in Broadstairs be aware that an election for a Councillor's vacancy on Broadstairs Town Council is to be the subject of a vote on Thursday 3 April? The four candidates up for election are pictured above (courtesy of IOTG) and thank goodness IOTG is doing such a good job in keeping us informed.
If you are eligible to vote, make sure you go along to the Youth & Leisure Centre , Albion Street Car Park, Broadstairs between 7am and 10pm and vote!
Whilst some might decry the importance of Broadstairs Town Council, the Council is responsible for the awful fencing in Culmers Land (aided and abetted by TDC) which just happens to be in Bradstowe Ward and hence my interest.
Abandoning my neutral stance, could I urge support for Roger Lee (Labour) who has criticised the Culmers Land Allotment Security Fence (aka as Stalag Broadstairs) as expensive and ugly or if you want to be independent then vote for Independent Action Party member, Jane Burgess who would like to preseve the town's character and green open spaces.
A vote for the Tory's chap, Ian Gregory , would be wasted as any independent, clear thoughts about Culmers Land Fencing would soon transmogrify into 'isn't it lovely'; 'isn't it quite attractive' and 'who gives a damn about what the people of Broadstairs think, we know best'.
(The other candidate is Ian Driver, Independent)
For those who might wonder about Bertie' neutrality, I have to admit to being a paid up Conservative Party member but that doesn't mean I have to toe a party line and put my brains into cold storage.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bertie,

The town council wanted to keep the vacancy under wraps and co-opt another Tory. The original notice that Tanis Swan had resigned was minuscule and only on one noticeboard. The Independent Action group called the by-election so Labour, having found out about the vacancy, was just in time to put up Roger Lee as a candidate. There are no polling cards altho' postal votes have gone out. The notice of the candidates was pinned up so high on the official town council boards you needed to be 6 feet tall to read. After a complaint from Roger's agent, the notices have been sited lower down altho' the print is very small. Labour has leafleted every house in the ward so we've done our bit, rather more than the town council has endeavoured to do. The town council basically didn't want to spend the money on a by-election but, hey, whatever happened to democracy?

Anonymous said...

I find this quite extraordinary,08.06. As you say, how democratic is a process if very few know about it.?

Anonymous said...

I confirm this to be correct.
John Worrow

Anonymous said...

I'm glad John Worrow agrees with me. I have been told by 'one in the know' that the town council isn't happy about having to spend money on this by-election. I think they feel it's done-deal for the Tory so it would have been cheaper just to co-opt Ian Gregory on to the council. Let's hope they can be proved wrong and that Bradstowe residents have a councillor of a different political persuasion. I understand John Fullarton, town councillor for St. Peter's, and a county councillor is very ill. I wish him well but this could mean another by-election. No way will the town council get away with trying to co-opt in this ward.

Anonymous said...

John, how nice to have Independent Action visiting. I wish Jane every success tomorrow but I secretly hope Labour will slip a councillor into this ward!

Anonymous said...

John, I moved down a story expecting to see a comment from you. Could you update us about the Independent Action Party and have you got a new president yet?

Anonymous said...

Our president resigned because of the 3rd IAP Councillor.

IAP Members held a vote of no confidence in the IAP chairman, who is the former Conservative chairman.

A number of our senior members are breaking away to become Independent Liberals.

its thought that Jane Burges will be proposed as our next chairman.

We are also planning a leadership contest in the next 3 months, in which I shall be standing for re-election. We shall have an online election giving anyone that joins the party a chance to vote.

John

Unknown said...

I've heard that hasbin "mayor for a year" Roy Ovenden, who is the IAP Secretary, is after Worrow's Job

I've heard this from IAP members in Margate.

Is this true?

David Hayes

Anonymous said...

I want to let people know that the person claiming to be John W is NOT John W


IAP member

Anonymous said...

I don't believe that John or David id John W either, I think its a wind up.

GT

Anonymous said...

All very confusing 11.20 and 15.22! I must assume when John Worrow comes on at 21.29 for the first time and gives his name then it must be him. I have no reason to doubt otherwise. If we are not careful we will be having a 'Spartacus'style outbreak!

Anonymous said...

I'm John Worrow


Mary

Anonymous said...

I'm the real John Worrow




Jean Fleming

Anonymous said...

I'm John Worrow's love child


Little John

Anonymous said...

I'm Iris John's son

Anonymous said...

I believe that IAP members are really Tories


Dr Simon

Anonymous said...

Mentioning Spartacus was asking for trouble and now we have a flying doc impersonator or is he really Simes? The wonder of this medium is that we will never know!